- Mary's relatives, Zachariah and Elizabeth
- Angel Gabriel
- Mary's "fiat"
- The Magnificat or Canticle of Mary
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.
Getting to Know Mary
1. What were Mary's struggles?
2. How did Mary play a significant role in our salvation history?
3. Is it hard for teenagers to take the moral high ground? What are some struggles that are specific to your age group?
4. Have you ever been held to a higher standard, whether it is in athletics, academics or behaviour? What's that like?